Tuesday, 6 May 2014

Cath Kidston Inspired Floral Nail Tutorial



























Today I'll show you how I did this Cath Kidston inspired floral nail design. You will need a lot of patience, so be prepared…
Step 1

Products:
Base:        Kiko - Smooth base
                 Barry M - Huckleburry

Flowers: Essie - funny face
                 Essie- Watermelon
                 Barry M - Rose Hip
                 Essence Nail art pen - spacy pink
                 Alessandro french liner - white
                 Catrice - Sold out for ever
                 Collection - Shameless

Top Coat: Essie - No chips ahead
Tools: Essence - striper brush (if you don't have one, use a toothpick)
You don't necessarily need a nail art pen either, it'll work with toothpicks.

This list of products is just a suggestion. You may choose any colour you like, but the more similar colours you use, the better the flowers will look.

Step 1: Apply your base coat and a light colour as the background of the design. Wait for it to dry completely. 

Step 2: Now you want to create the shape of the flowers. Take the second darkest colour you chose (Essie - funny face) and create three misshapen circles on each nail you want the flower design. It's easier to do when you only take a small amount of nail polish on the brush. I did this on two nails of each hand, because I thought it takes too long to paint all of my nails this way. 


Step 2
Step 3: Now you're going to paint the petals. To do this, you need the thin brush or a toothpick. I started by placing a dot of the darkest colour (Essie – Watermelon) into the middle of the circular shape. Then I added fine lines with the pink liner. If you’re using a toothpick, dip it into the nail polish and make sure, there’s not too much on the toothpick, so you’re able to paint fine lines. The line itself shouldn’t be straight, it looks more petal-like if it’s a little wavy. I also wanted to add different coloured petals to the outside of the circular shape.


Step 3
Step 4: The next step is to add dimension to it. I did this by applying an even lighter pink (Barry M – rose hip) directly beneath the lines I already created. You don’t really need to wait till the lacquer dries, it looks quite nice when the two colours mix.
Now you should have something like a rose on your nail.

Step 4&5

Step 5: If you haven’t painted the roses on each nail, you might want to add a little something to the rest of them. I decided to add little white dots. If you have a French liner, it’s easiest to use this one, otherwise I would recommend to use the toothpick again. I dotted the colour on each nail, on the ones with the flowers too.


Step 6: When the nail polishes are completely dry, you can continue with painting leaves. I used the lighter green colour (Catrice - Sold out for ever) and added two leaves to each rose. To make them look more natural, I applied a very thin line with the dark green (Collection - Shameless) to the middle of the leaf. Give the nail polishes time to dry before you apply a top coat to add shine and protect the design.



























I'm not a nail art pro, I just do this for fun, but I hope you enjoyed this tutorial anyway. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. And please send a picture, if you recreated the look!


Love,
Cheryl


4 comments:

  1. Executed to perfection, those roses look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow thats a really good replication! Kudos on having so much patience:) Nailart stamps are about as patient as I can get with my nails lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm not a very patient person but when it comes to nails I really like to go into detail ;-)

      Delete

I love to read your comments. Please feel free to leave a link to your blog too. Thanks for stopping by!