Friday, 1 August 2014

DIY Sugaring Paste

It's still summer and I'm a little bit annoyed by all the money I'm spending hair removal. It seems like it's time for another option than waxing, so I decided to give sugaring a try. Sugaring paste is all natural meant to be very gentle on the skin because the hair is removed in the direction of hair growth. Last week I tested two recipes for you and now I'd like to share the results.
The two recipes are all over the internet, so it's pretty hard to tell who invented them but I guess they must be extremely old.

Recipe 1
1 cup sugar
1/8 cup lemon juice
1/8 cup water

Add all the ingredients into a pan and cook them on a medium heat till the mixture changes to a honey colour or till it has a temperature of 130° celcius. This will take about 6 minutes. Let the paste cool down in a plastic bowl. 




Recipe 2
200g sugar
100ml lemon juice




















Add the ingredients into a pan and cook over medium heat while stirring. As soon as it boils, turn the heat down a little and let it simmer for about 15 minutes. You will know it has the right texture when it doesn’t dissolve anymore in water. Remove from heat and pour it into a bowl. 



















It takes the paste around 1.5 hours to cool down. Please be careful, sugar gets extremely hot so it's dangerous to put it into a cold glass bowl because it could burst. I witnessed that once and it's not fun
As you might be able to tell, the second paste has a darker colour than the first one and it looks how it's supposed to. 

Result recipe 1


This one looked really promising so I was quite confident that it would work. But after letting it cool for an hour you're supposed to work it with your hands to make it usable. While I did this, the paste became harder and harder and after about a minute non-sticky. Not what I wanted! I tried to use it in several different ways but it didn't work. So I threw it away. That's when I found out that in this case you should apply some more water and stir it… am I impatient? I guess so. 
I've seen a lot of people doing this recipe but letting it simmer for about 25 to 30 minutes so that's what I'll try next. 

Result recipe 2
The paste was a lot stickier and less thick than I expected and it wasn't possible to use with the flicking method (apply the paste with two fingers against direction of hair growth, leave a thicker part at the top to pull and remove it quickly in direction of hair growth) so I think I should have let it cook for a little longer. If your skin isn't entirely dry or oil-free, use a dust of talco-powder. I applied the paste with my fingers and used an old cloth to pull it off in one piece. At least that's what I intended to do. To be honest, I had to use the cloth three times to remove all of the sugaring paste. But hey, it worked! And it hurt… this is not less painful than waxing even though you're removing the hair in direction of hair growth. But I noticed that my skin was less irritated than after waxing which is a huge plus. And sugaring paste can be used on any part of your body. My paste didn't do a great job at removing hair from the bikini line or armpits but I think this is because I should've cooked it longer to make it thicker and "stronger". 

I'm not entirely pleased with my version of the sugaring paste but I'm working on it. If I succeed and found the secret ingredient or whatever, I'll let you know.
If you already know how the paste gets perfect, I would be very happy to get some advice. 

Love, 
Cheryl



6 comments:

  1. Actually tried this three years ago. It hurt so bad. Yes it worked a bit but the paste residue was everywhere and skin was really pink (burnt by the ripping).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Surprisingly my skin didn't react too bad. I was pleased by how easy I could remove the sugaring paste from my skin with water.

      Delete
  2. Basically im tempted to try it, but i think its just not worth the effort and the mess. I stick with my razor or my easy wax system .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does take some time, but the recipe makes way too much so you can put it into a plastic bowl and store it in the fridge up to a month. But if it doesn't work twice it gets a bit frustrating I have to admit ;-)

      Delete
  3. I don't have any experience with this. Actually, I didn't even know you could DIY this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can :-) And the third time I did it the paste turned out to be perfect. I'll be doing an update very soon and hopefully my tips will help ;-)

      Delete

I love to read your comments. Please feel free to leave a link to your blog too. Thanks for stopping by!