Sunday, 7 December 2014

Blog update and Swiss Santa


This is my life right now... books, folders and an unhealthy amount of sweets. Preferably Toffifee, you know them? It's chocolaty deliciousness with caramel and a hazelnut and they keep my motivation on a sufficient level. I'm pretty sure you've guessed by now, I'm studying! My exams start on Tuesday and end mid-January. So during this time I'll try to post as often as I can but I can't promise anything. I love this blog so I'm looking forward to writing on a regular schedule again. 

What's up with Santa in the picture? 
Yesterday, it was Santa-day in Switzerland. In the part of Switzerland where I live, Santa looks just like the american one but he has a companion called "Schmutzli" and is accompanied by a donkey. His name isn't Santa either, it's "Samichlaus". But why does he arrive on the 6 of December? 
"Samichlaus" is named after a bishop who gave presents to the poor on his name day, the 6 of December. So every year, Samichlaus visits the homes of every child (if the parents order one, of course ;)) and brings them... wait for it... peanuts! 
Well, it's not exactly like that. The children have to say a rhyme and Samichlaus knows if they were nice during the year, because he has a thick golden book with everything about everyone in it. He reads it in front of the family and if the child was well-behaved, it gets peanuts, chocolates, tangerines and gingerbread. 
And who brings the presents on Christmas then? It's the Christ Child! 

It's nearly Christmas, so I thought it would be nice if you'd know how we (or some of us) celebrate Christmas in Switzerland.

Do you celebrate Christmas in your country? What is it like? Do you have Santa? 

Love,
Cheryl

5 comments:

  1. Thats so cool! those names are SO cute!! Samichlaus and Schmutzl ?? too cute! What are you studying Cheryl? All the very best:)
    We have santas all over the place here in Canada ofcourse. I LOVE the decorations around the city this time of year both at peoples homes and in stores, streets etc. Fröhlichi Wiehnacht! hehe xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Dee! There's no direct translation but I'd say it's media - and communication science combined with economics.
      Haha an where on earth did you look that up? Don't know about a swiss german translator or anything like that... ;)

      Delete
  2. Sweet to know about the ritual in Switzerland. India is predominantly a hindu country but we still celebrate christmas here. Santa is around everywhere :) xx
    June Wants It All

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds a lot like the Sinterklaas that we have in Belgium!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Please feel free to leave a link to your blog too. Thanks for stopping by!