Sunday, 9 August 2015

Beauty Essentials for a Long-Haul Flight

In 10 days I'm hopping on a plane for Seattle and I'm really excited. It'll take us about 14 hours to get there and we have a stopover in Amsterdam. Being on a plane isn't exactly what my skin considers a relaxing experience so I packed my beauty bag with my essentials for long-haul flights to try to keep my skin calm and hydrated. Prepare yourself for a long post...

I bring two bags in my hand luggage, one clear 1 litre bag for liquids (not over 100ml per product!) and another bag for dry things. 
I'll show you the products in four categories, starting with the basics:

The basics: 

1. Cotton pads and q-tips: Not a lot to tell about these guys but they usually come in handy one way or another. 
2. A mirror: This hand mirror has been in my possession for years. One of my dearest friends bought it for me while she was in Paris and I still think it's the cutest mirror I've ever seen. I always keep a mirror in my handbag anyway but on planes a mirror is an absolute must. I don't know about you but I kind of suck at applying my make up without one...
3. Nail file: Yes, this cute little flower printed thingy is a nail file. My parents once gave me a set of them. This one is really soft and you're allowed to bring it in your hand luggage. Somehow I always end up with split nails on flights, that's why I need a nail file. In favour of following passengers I only use it over a little bag or something to prevent a nail-dust-mess. 
4. Ear plugs: Have you ever been seated next to someone snoring or a whiny child? ...you really should bring ear plugs ;)
5. Face wipes: As soon as I'm on the plane I remove my makeup. I'd usually bring a miniature makeup remover but we're taking off in the morning so I don't apply makeup in the first place. But I still like to be able to clean my face quickly or even use the wipes for my hands. These are actually amazing! I'm not a fan of face wipes but if you're in the gym (or on a plane) they're perfect to just wipe off whatever's on your face. 
6. Hairbrush: Yes, I sometimes brush my hair. On planes I can't live without a hairbrush. I braid my hair on flights to prevent it from being a total mess but it still gets really knotty so first thing I do when I land is to brush my hair. 

My skin gets very dry on long-haul flights so I developed a little beauty routine to keep my skin hydrated.

The Happy-Skin Kit:

1. Caudalie Eau de Beauté: Princess product, nothing more, nothing less. It has a delicious herbal scent and feels extremely refreshing on the skin. I don't know why everyone loves it, let's just say as soon as you tried this, you'll be in love with it too. 
2. Origins Plantscription Anti-Aging Eye Treatment: I'm not sure about this one. I want to bring an eye treatment but I guess this one might be strangely coloured and that's not what I like to apply in public. Have you tried this treatment? Any help? If it's coloured I'll pack my usual eye cream... 
3. Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair: This is a classic, it's a serum with a runny and oily texture that does wonders for your skin. A full review will follow soon. 
4. Clinique Repairwear Uplifting: This is a firming day cream with a plumping effect so my skin won't look too dull after the flight. 
5. Nuxe Rêve de Miel lip balm: This is heaven in a jar! It smells lovely and is very effective so it's on my lips all the time. 
6. La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo+: I bring this just in case so I'd be able to treat a spot right away. 
7. L'Occitane Amande Hand Cream: On planes literally every part of my skin gets dry so clearly I need to apply hand cream as well and this one smells great, sinks into the skin immediately and is very hydrating. 
8. Glam Glow Thirstymud: I don't bring the whole jar, just a bit in a little plastic can. After using the face wipes this is the first thing I use. I apply the face mask all over my face (it's not visible) and leave it on practically during the whole flight to protect my skin then remove the residue with another face wipe. After that I follow a "normal" skincare routine by applying serum, face & eye cream.

The following products are my essentials to feel clean and fresh.

The Survival Kit:

1. Batiste Tropical dry shampoo: As I said, my hair gets really messy. And sometimes it looses every single bit of volume. Dry shampoo always helps and makes my hair look and smell fresh again. 
2. Colgate mouthwash: On long-haul flights you usually get a tooth brush so what I take with me is a mouthwash as a quick refresher after a meal if I can't brush my teeth. 
3. Deodorant: No explication necessary, I really feel better if I don't stink...!
4. Systane Ultra eye drops: Everything gets dry on planes, especially my eyes. I wear my glasses during the flight and use these eye drops before I apply my contact lenses. 
5. Dailies: When I'm traveling I always use daily disposable contact lenses because I think it's easier for hygiene reasons. 
6. Nexcare hand sanitizer: Before I eat on the plane and before I apply anything to my face I like to clean my hands with this.

Now let's say we're nearly in Seattle and I want to look human again. I remove the face mask, apply the serum, eye cream and face cream and my skin's ready for makeup. I don't like to apply a lot of make up on the plane because the next stop is the hotel anyway (and I'll show you pictures as soon as I'm there, it looks like paradise) so I just bring four essential products.

The Humanizer: 

1. L'Oréal True Match Concealer in 02 vanilla: We're flying during daytime so no sleep for me. I apply the concealer wherever I need it and if my complexion looks uneven I mix a drop with my face cream to create something similar to a light foundation. 
2. Soap&Glory Sexy Mother Pucker in nudist: Yes, this one experienced a lot of love during it's life. It's moisturizing and a lovely nude colour which I apply on my lips and onto my cheeks to make my face look healthy. 
3. Maybelline Color Tattoo Metal in Barely Branded: This is a light champagne colour which is very easy to wear and it looks pretty on its own. I apply it with my fingertips and it stays on forever. The light colour makes my eyes look more awake. 
4. Clinique High Impact Mascara: Who would have thought that? I have my favourite mascara with me as well. It makes my lashes look incredible and this way I might distract people from my otherwise quite meager makeup. 

Listing all of the products I feel as if this is way too much to fit into a 1 liter bag for liquids and my other bag for dry products. But: I have proof! It fits! 


And you know what? I'm not sure if the face wipes are considered a liquid too but even though the bag looks cram-packed they would fit into the clear bag too :) Hooray! I hope I haven't forgotten something, otherwise please leave a comment ;)

If you're still reading this, thanks very much for your loyalty! 
If you're interested, I'll be happy to do one or two other posts about travel preparations, maybe what's in my hand luggage or in my beauty bag. 

How do you prepare for a long-haul flight? Do you have your little beauty routine too?

Love,
Cheryl

10 comments:

  1. Well organised for a long haul flight:) So many great picks.

    www.elabellaworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is very open with a clear clarification of the issues.
    It was definitely informative. Your website is extremely helpful.
    Many thanks for sharing!

    Review my site ... Best Selling Skincare Products

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great post, all the essentials for long haul flying!
    http://www.alifeofacharlotte.com/
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charlotte :) I'm glad you like it!

      Delete
  4. Great tips! Having a quality trusted lip balm is so important to me. Nice to find a fellow Swiss blogger :-)
    www.meowlifestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenna :) See you on your blog ;)

      Delete
  5. I think you covered everything. Imma make this ma checklist !
    And I'd love to see what makeup you brought with you !!!
    Enjoy your time over there =)

    Feathers and Brushes | Suisse | Beauté & Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do a blogpost on that while I'm in Canada... or at least I'll try. Because I'm mid packing now :)

      Delete

I love to read your comments. Please feel free to leave a link to your blog too. Thanks for stopping by!