Wednesday, 25 November 2015

Smashbox Double Exposure



I've been quite unfaithful to my Urban Decay Naked Palettes lately due to the beautiful Smashbox Double Exposure palette*. The palette contains 14 colours, nothing too bright but a mixture of rather neutral warm and cool tones. 

From left to right: silver, midnight, mauve, temper, peony, haze, blanc and noir
From left to right: quartz, copper, fig, flushed, espresso, veiled


















The fun thing with this palette is the fact that the shadows are designed to use either dry or wet. Other than regular eye shadows, these are created to use both ways and they won't glaze over once they were wet. Smashbox says that special pigments in the shadows transform the appearance of the colour when wet so you basically get 28 shades with this palette. They either get metallic, more vibrant deeper or sparklier:

Metallic: Silver, mauve, peony, blanc and copper
More vibrant: quartz and veiled
Deeper colours: flushed, haze, noir, fig and espresso
Water adds sparkle: midnight, temper

Personally I think the difference isn't dramatic enough to show up on pictures but the shades do look more intense and veiled leaves a really gorgeous satiny finish. Nevertheless, used with water (Smashbox Photo Finish primer water in my case) the shadows glide on beautifully and they stay on all day. 


Base: veiled | crease: flushed | lashline: fig

Besides the wet-or-dry-use possibility the palette brings other benefits. The mirror is huge, they used pretty much the whole space they had left to put a mirror in there. All of the shades are extremely easy to wear and allow a soft day look as well as a vampy night look. I would bring the Double Exposure palette on vacation because it covers all I need. I enjoy combining peony, mauve and temper or the colours used above for a day look. Copper is my favourite addition when I'm going out. 
There's also a brush included but I'm not a huge fan of it. The quality is okay but the angled brush is slightly too wide for my liking whereas the other side either isn't flat enough to "pack" eye shadow onto my lids or not fluffy enough to be used as a blending brush. 

The quality of the eye shadows is amazing, they don't glaze over, the colours are pretty and versatile and the packaging is very functional, it doesn't take up space unnecessarily. Even though the shades don't look too adventurous they somehow look very different from everything I owned so far and it's not due to the colour itself but because of the satiny and even finish. In Switzerland you can purchase the palette for CHF 65 exclusively at Marionnaud and you really get something for your money with the Smashbox Double Exposure palette. What do you think?

Do you like applying your eye shadows wet?

Love,
Cheryl

*press sample

6 comments:

  1. Sehr schöni Review! Die Palette gsed wirkli intressant us…. vilicht öps für mini Christmas Wishlist =) Liebe Grüsse Valena von undnochvielesmehr.ch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dankeschön! Ja die lohnt sich ächt, find d Farbe na speziell :)

      Delete
  2. smashbox is awesome, the shades in this look so nice!

    danielle | avec danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hesitated for a really long time between this one and the regular full exposure … I went for the other which I really love but I might have to go back for this one XD
    Thanks for the swatches ! Very useful =)
    xx

    Feathers and Brushes | Swiss | Beauty & Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the finish of these shades, it makes them look special and interesting even though the shades are very neutral.

      Delete
    2. And I went for it :P Still haven't tried it but I can't wait !

      Delete

I love to read your comments. Please feel free to leave a link to your blog too. Thanks for stopping by!